Captivated by the Philippines’ stunning islands? Look no further than Coron, Palawan! This gem boasts turquoise lagoons, majestic limestone cliffs, and diverse marine life, promising an unforgettable escape.
While Coron undoubtedly boasts world-renowned wreck diving sites from World War II, its treasures extend far beyond the depths. This island paradise, nestled within the Calamian Archipelago north of Palawan, unveils a captivating tapestry of natural wonders.
Towering limestone karsts pierce the emerald skies, their jagged silhouettes mirroring the island’s rich geological history. Pristine beaches fringed with powdery white sand beckon sunbathers, while crystal-clear freshwater lakes like Kayangan Cove offer a refreshing escape. Beneath the turquoise surface, vibrant coral reefs teem with marine life, inviting both snorkelers and divers to explore their underwater majesty.
Unlike its counterpart, El Nido, Coron exudes a distinct aura of tranquility. Its laid-back atmosphere caters to those seeking a more relaxed pace, perfect for unwinding amidst breathtaking scenery. Whether you crave adventure or serenity, Coron’s diverse landscapes and laid-back charm promise an unforgettable escape.
When is the Best Time to Go to Coron?
Coron, with its postcard-perfect beaches and diverse underwater sceneries, welcomes travelers year-round. But to truly optimize your experience, understanding its two distinct seasons is key:
Dry Season (November – May): Embrace sun-kissed days and balmy nights. This peak season boasts clear skies, ideal for island hopping, diving, and snorkeling. Witness vibrant coral reefs teeming with life, bask on pristine beaches, and explore hidden lagoons without the worry of rain disruptions. However, prepare for higher prices and larger crowds, especially during Christmas and peak summer months.
Rainy Season (June – October): Immerse yourself in lush, emerald landscapes. While afternoon showers might occur, they often bring refreshing respite and don’t typically hinder exploration. Enjoy discounted rates and fewer crowds, making it ideal for budget-conscious travelers seeking tranquility. Witness waterfalls cascading down verdant cliffs and capture the island’s unique beauty under a dramatic, cloud-streaked sky. Remember, some tours and activities might be weather-dependent.
Beyond Seasons: No matter when you visit, Coron’s magic endures. Consider these factors for your ideal trip:
- Activities: Prioritize snorkeling or diving? Aim for the dry season. Craving lush scenery and fewer crowds? Embrace the rainy season.
- Budget: Peak season comes with higher costs. Shoulder seasons (November and May) offer a balance between good weather and affordability.
- Peace & Quiet: The rainy season offers a more tranquil experience, while the dry season can be bustling.
Ultimately, the “best” time depends on your priorities. So, dive deep into Coron’s seasonal offerings and discover the perfect moment to unveil its enchanting charms!
What to Pack?
Coron’s tropical paradise beckons, but before you embark, ensure your suitcase reflects the island’s charm. Here’s what to pack for an unforgettable adventure:
Sun Protection: Remember, the Philippines is close to the equator, so pack high-SPF sunscreen (SPF 30 or higher) to shield your skin from the sun’s warm embrace. Reapply generously throughout the day, especially after swimming or sweating.
Beach Essentials: Pack your swimsuit, cover-ups, beach towels, and a wide-brimmed hat for those lazy days soaking up the sun on pristine beaches. Consider bringing quick-drying clothes for convenience.
Insect Repellent: Tropical paradise comes with uninvited guests – pesky mosquitoes! Pack insect repellent with DEET or other natural alternatives to keep them at bay, especially during dusk and dawn.
Snorkeling Gear: If you plan to explore the vibrant underwater world independently, pack your own snorkeling gear (mask, fins, snorkel). Renting is an option, but having your own ensures perfect fit and hygiene.
Trekking Essentials: Conquer the majestic Mt. Tapyas? Pack comfortable hiking shoes with good traction, breathable clothing, and a backpack to carry essentials like water, snacks, and a first-aid kit. Don’t forget a headlamp or flashlight for the climb back down after sunset.
- Pack light, breathable clothing made from natural fabrics like cotton or linen.
- Bring a reusable water bottle to stay hydrated and reduce plastic waste.
- Consider packing a travel adapter if your electronics require different plugs.
- Download offline maps for navigating even without internet access.
- Pack a small first-aid kit for minor cuts, scrapes, or insect bites.
Remember, packing is about personal preference. Adapt this list to your specific activities and needs to ensure a smooth and enjoyable Coron adventure!
What to See in Coron?
Planning a Coron escape? With its breathtaking landscapes and diverse wonders, crafting your itinerary can be overwhelming. Fear not, traveler! Let’s delve into the unmissable gems that will leave you spellbound:
Twin Lagoon: Imagine two turquoise lagoons nestled within towering limestone cliffs, their emerald waters beckoning. Swim through a hidden opening and enter a secret haven, sunlight dappling the surface. An adventurer’s paradise awaits!
Barracuda Lake: Immerse yourself in serenity beside majestic limestone cliffs. Tranquil Barracuda Lake offers crystal-clear waters teeming with exotic fish, perfect for a refreshing dip.
Kayangan Lake: Witness nature’s masterpiece. Lush vegetation frames the breathtaking Kayangan Lake, its pristine waters boasting astonishing clarity. Dive in and unveil its underwater magic.
Malcapuya Island: Escape to paradise found. Powdery white sand, swaying palms, and crystal-clear waters paint a picture of Malcapuya Island’s magic. Unwind on its pristine shores and soak in island bliss.
Sunken Japanese Wrecks: History meets adventure beneath the waves. Explore these WWII-era gunboats, now vibrant coral havens teeming with marine life. For divers and snorkelers, a captivating underwater journey awaits.
Mt. Tapyas: Conquer breathtaking vistas. Ascend the 210-meter Mt. Tapyas and be rewarded with panoramic views of Coron town and the captivating coastline. A short climb, a lifetime of memories.
Maquinit Hot Springs: Nature’s warm embrace awaits. Immerse yourself in the therapeutic waters of Maquinit Hot Springs, nestled amidst a unique mangrove forest by the sea. Unwind in natural pools and soak in the serenity.
Beyond the List: Remember, Coron’s magic extends far beyond these highlights. Explore hidden coves, kayak through mangrove forests, or indulge in fresh seafood feasts. Discover your own slice of paradise and weave unforgettable memories in this enchanting haven.
Book your tours and hotels with Klook and use our promo code: ESCAPEMANILA to get 3% off on tours and activities and 5% off on hotel bookings.Klook.com
How to Get to Coron?
Getting to Coron by Flight
Coron is inviting you, and whether you’re escaping the hustle of Manila, the vibrant streets of Cebu, or the charm of Clark, taking flight is the quickest way to reach this island paradise. Let’s explore your options:
Taking Off from Manila:
- Non-stop flights: Embrace a breezy 1-hour journey directly from Manila’s Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) to Coron’s Francisco B. Reyes Airport (USU). Airlines like Philippine Airlines, Cebu Pacific, Sunlight Air, and AirSwift offer daily options. Compare prices and booking times to find the perfect fit for your schedule and budget. Book a flight from Manila to Coron
Departing from Cebu:
- Direct flights: Skip the stopovers and soar straight to paradise! Cebu Pacific and Philippine Airlines operate direct flights from Cebu’s Mactan-Cebu International Airport (CEB) to USU, taking approximately 1.5 hours. Ideal for those seeking a hassle-free connection. Book a flight from Cebu to Coron
Launching from Clark:
- Non-stop flights: If you’re in Clark or Northern Luzon, Sunlight Air and Philippine Airlines offer convenient non-stop flights from Clark International Airport (CRK) to USU, taking just 1.5 hours. Book a flight from Clark to Coron
From El Nido:
You can also now fly directly from El Nido to Coron via AirSwift. The schedule is limited so it is highly recommended to book your tickets in advance to secure a seat. Book a direct flight from El Nido to Coron
- Remember to consider baggage fees and other add-ons when comparing prices.
- Booking in advance often secures better deals, especially during peak season.
- Upon arrival at USU, you can easily reach Coron Town and other destinations via vans, tricycles, or private transfers.
With these tips and the diverse flight options available, planning your aerial adventure to Coron is a breeze. So, buckle up, choose your perfect flight, and get ready to be swept away by the magic of this island paradise!
Getting to Coron by Ferry
Coron’s allure stretches beyond the skies, offering the unique charm of a ferry journey. While not the fastest option, it delivers stunning coastal views, budget-friendly travel, and a chance to immerse yourself in the island rhythm. Let’s explore your embarkation points:
Setting Sail from Manila:
- Going to Coron from Manila by ferry is a straightforward choice. You can take a ferry via 2Go Travel and Atienza InterIsland Ferries. Both ferry companies have a weekly schedule from Manila to Coron and vice versa. Check the updated ferry schedule here
Departing from Puerto Princesa:
- 2Go Travel: Embark on a 13-hour voyage aboard 2Go Travel’s ferry. Departures from Puerto Princesa happen every Sunday. Book in advance for the best cabin choices.
Sailing Out from El Nido:
- Montenegro Shipping, Atienza InterIsland Ferries, and Jomalia Shipping have daily trips from El Nido to Coron and vice-versa. The ferry usually leaves between 12:00 nn to 1:00 pm. Book a ferry ticket
- Ferry schedules and durations can vary seasonally, so double-check before booking.
- Consider your budget and desired comforts when choosing between different ferry operators and cabin classes.
- Pack essentials for the journey, including entertainment, snacks, and seasickness medication if needed.